Eight August bank holiday ideas
August bank holiday, the tail end of the summer before the everything turns golden, the leaves fall and we're eating baked apples wearing warm socks and knitwear. This is (sort of) the last hurrah, barefeet, drunk warm summer air and gardening. Here are some ideas to embrace this weekend:
* Make rhubarb cordial:
Chop up 500g rhubarb in to 5cm pieces, then boil in 500ml of cold water and 200g caster sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes, strain through a muslin/sieve, allow to cool and then bottle.
* Go for a walk and appreicate the hedgerows full of bounty, from apples to blackberries and hazelnuts.
* Do some gardening: prune, water, plant spring bulbs and harvest.
* Pull on a cheery, comfortable item of clothing – like these floral cotton leggings. Make youself a delicous fruity drink – like a fresh mint and blackberry julep and settle down in the garden, porch, or your favourite armchair. Bank holiday lounging at its best.
* Treat yourself to some new stationery and a new mug for some planning – autumn can bring new ideas to fruition; think learning something new, redecorating/redesigning a room or corner of your house, clearing out your wardrobe, or baking that tricky recipe. For your pondering, make sure that you make some real tea if you have a tea pot, the process slows you down on busy days and sets you up for planning.
* Discover a new book and get reading, it's good for your wellbeing and there's so much fantastic literature out there to explore. We love Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch and the fairytales of Hans Christian Andersen.
* If the rain starts to fall, watch an old movie. There's nothing better that curling up and watching that favouirte film. Here's a list of old movie classics.
* Have a look through our new season catalogue with more on our Istanbul inspiration and the detailing that make our pieces extra special – have your ordered yours?